WHY COMPANIES FAIL TO EFFICIENTLY DEVELOP A PRODUCT LINE?
…AND WHY THEY CONSEQUENTLY DO NOT MEET THEIR BUSINESS OBJECTIVES
Many firms implement product-line/platform approach seeking to deliver variety while pursuing ambitious business objectives:
- Cost Savings: reduced development costs, economies of scale, reduced inventory,
- Revenue Benefits: quicker time-to-market, enter niche markets,
- Risk benefits: lower technology risks, higher quality
But developing a product line is not a piece of cake and can lead to:
- Costly generation of new variants or releases: complex, non-modular, non-scalable platform
- Poor industrial performance: high costs & PPM, long lead-time and ramp-up
- Diversity explosion: over-customization, component proliferation
- Project-by-project local optimization: lack of global market & product strategy
- No corporate commitment: ExCo, sales, programs, … do not adhere to product line /platform strategy
ARCHITECTURE GROUNDED PRODUCT LINE APPROACH BRINGS SUSTAINABLE VALUE AND ENSURES THE COMPANY TO ACHIEVE ITS BUSINESS GOALS BY A STRUCTURED APPROACH
Our integrated approach relies on 3 complementary axis to deliver the full value of a product line / modular platform approach
ARCHITECTURE GROUNDED PRODUCT LINE APPROACH BENEFITS
A product line approach helps reduce drastically the development cost (-60% in software industry), the customization engineering cost (-50% in aeronautic industry) and the inventory cost (10 M€/year in IT server industry).
A product line approach helps to reduce variant generation time (from 200 days to 4 days in defense industry), to shorten the Time-to-Market (-50% in elevator industry) and to reduce Order-to-Product time (-75% in IT server industry).
A product line approach allows to reduce component variability (up to -83% in IT server industry) and to increase software module reuse (from ~7% (before) to 90% (after) in software industry).
OUR SERVICE OFFERING
The sketching (also called Esquisse) is a first-level solution that consists of a set of 5 workshops with key people from your project, with whom CESAMES will carry out analysis and formalization work. No architectural skills are required, you will benefit from immediate and tangible results within a month. It’s a quick approach to mastering the complexity of your project.
The scoping intervenes at the articulation between a more or less explicit inventory and the implementation of a transformation project. It expresses in a simple, understandable and concrete way the problem to be solved. It gives meaning, ensures consistency between strategy and implementation and thus represents a key factor in the success of transformation projects.
Our training responds to this industrial challenge: how to make tailor-made products at controlled costs & risks? You learn how to optimize the reusability of existing components, while mastering the diversity of a product family/line, which leads to flexible and modular architectures. You understand the challenges, difficulties and foundations of modular architecture.